Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lean Back

so when i was walking back to my dorm during busy lunch hours yesterday, i went to walk behind someone who was standing about one person (turned sideways) distance from the edge of the stairs into the pit. however, this is the only obvious/nonintrusive way for me to pass by this mass of people and get to my dorm.

as i am walking directly behind this girl, she chooses that exact moment to take a step backwards, directly into me, making my options either fall down the three stairs backwards into the pit, or hold onto her backpack so i dont wipe out in front of this huge crowd of people.

in true self-preservation fashion, i decide to grab on to her backpack and quickly push myself past her so i dont drag her down the stairs with me, and pass by her faster than i would without pushing off of her backpack.

when she turns around to see who has grabbed her backpack and shoved her in the opposite direction of the way im going i avoid eye contact and apologize profusely, hoping this will be enough for her to focus on her phone conversation and ignore the fact that i almost fell down three brick stairs into the pit in front of about 100 people...

1 comment: