Wednesday, January 8, 2014

The Saga of Bus Incidents

Bus Incident #1:

On my way home from class one day I decided to catch the bus outside of the student union. I got out of my building just in time to see the bus i needed pull up to the stop so i do the awkward run-with-a-full-backpack-on run in front of the group of people waiting for the bus just in time to catch it as it tries to pull away.

Which normally would be great, but the bus has already pulled a bit away from the curb.

i think i am lucky since there is a lot of traffic coming i decide to knock on the door to see if she will let me on anyway while she waits to pull into the road all the way.

However, bus driver lady does not seem to hear my knocking. so i am standing in the street repeatedly knocking on the bus door with no acknowledgment from the bus driver, but more than enough acknowledgment from the mass of people waiting behind me for other busses, and two girls sitting at the front of the bus who look out the window and are ever so kindly laughing at me.

After a solid amount of what felt like forever of ignored knocking i almost give up, but someone behind me is like "keep trying!" so i keep knocking, and the girls on the bus keep laughing and a few seconds later the bus just pulls away and leaves me standing in the street alone.

i stay there for a moment knowing that i will have to face the crowd of people behind as "that girl who just got rejected by the bus and is now standing by herself in the bus lane."

But having such an extensive knowledge of the bus system after taking them home everyday i know that if i walk briskly across campus i can probably catch the same bus when it comes back around to the other side of campus.

so i, laughing at the fact that i was just ignored by an entire bus full of people, walk across campus and make it in time to get on the bus that had previously ignored me, just to have the two girls at the front of the bus who saw me earlier bust out laughing at me as soon as i get on.

but i made it home so everything went great.

Bus Incident #2:

I am waiting for a bus outside my old apartment on the hilly part of MLK and the bus i am waiting for pulls up.

it is a very crowded bus, and it pulls away almost as soon as i get on it, so i start to make my way to the standing area right as a dude getting up and grabbing a backpack and computer shouts frantically for the bus driver to stop cause he missed his stop.

so naturally, the bus driver fucks all logic of WE ARE GOING DOWNHILL VERY FAST MAYBE I SHOULD SLOWLY BRAKE SO THAT ALL THE PEOPLE IN MOTION ON THIS BUS DONT FLY EVERYWHERE AND SMASH INTO EACH OTHER and slams on the brakes.

which of course sends large, computer-wielding, dude hurtling directly at me at a very fast pace and we collide and i am sent backwards, flailing against the front window of the bus, in the process knocking over the bus drivers trash can with one foot, hitting the bus driver with my hand, all while getting body slammed by this frantic stranger.

luckily, this commotion has caused everyone on this very full bus to stare at the loud noise caused by this collision, which most people seem to find very humorous.

public transportation is hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment