Sunday, February 19, 2012

Checking Books Out of Davis

i went to get a book from davis the other day, so i went up to the desk to go check it out. i walk up there, and the girl behind the desk is reading, and apparently didnt hear me walk up to the desk.

so i stand there for a minute or so, while she reads, and still doesnt see me. in order to get her attention sorta subtly, i kinda put the book down on the desk in front of her. she finally notices that im standing there and looks up at me as though i, the most boring and insignificant thing ever, am drawing her away from something amazing that she is reading, and that she just cant be bothered with whatever it is that i need.

this look surprises me so much that for a moment, i just stare back at her. i finally compose myself enough to ask "can i check this book out, please?"

she sighs, rolls her eyes, and takes my one card and is done checking the book out in about 5 seconds. she put the book back on the counter with a little here-you-go-thanks-for-bothering-me smile, and goes back to reading.

its cool, girl behind the desk, i know that taking a five second break to do the one, and essentially only, thing you have to do all day must be rough.

No comments:

Post a Comment